[rescue] Dayton Hamfest

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri May 16 09:38:01 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:44:33AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> The real reason some wanted the code requirement is to keep out "CB'ers"
> (a USA colloquialism). Unfortunately, bad operators have been a part of
> HF forever. It's why the ARRL was formed. All the crap you hear on late
> night 75M has been around forever. The net wars on 20M with the
> Intercontinental and maritime mobile nets being harassed by the B.A.R.F.
> were a disgrace.
>
> Getting more normal people on HF will keep it cleaner.

Japan and the Soviet Union started issuing no-code HF licenses in the
1950's and neither had the problems the U.S. had. What cleaned up the
U.S. hams (as much as they were cleaned up) was appointing a ham as the
head of the enforcement beareau of the FCC. Since he was licensed he
could go on the air and politely tell offenders that he was going to
fine them and revoke their licenses if they did not follow the rules.
Several former hams ignored him. :-)

You would not believe the acrominy some "coded hams" have for no-code
generals. Recently Ten-Tec asked what people wanted in a new rig. We
discussed this on a Ten-Tec user's mailing list and I suggested a 20m
SSB rig pared down to the absolute minumum. My idea was to make it 20m
SSB only with CW and other bands as extra cost, user installable
options.

Based on my discussions with Mr. Bill and others, I wanted to hit a price
point of $200, so that hams who had no radio and not a lot of extra
cash could get back on the air.

If you are interested, you are welcome to look up the list and read the
archives. :-(

On the other hand suggestions for how to get seed funding would be gratefully
accepted.

> And I'm a no-code General, soon to be Extra. I was a no-code tech 14
> years ago too.

I'm a U.S. 13wpm Advanced and an Israel Extra. I probably won't upgrade because
Israel is one of the few countries in the world that asked the people that
run the volunteer exams for U.S. licenses not to operate here.

I was first licensed in May of 1993 as a No Code Tech.

I guess I could go to Kuait, Jordan or Egypt. :-)

Geoff.