[rescue] Dayton Hamfest

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri May 16 08:44:33 CDT 2008

> The FCC shot down every argument that was made by the part of the ham
> community that wanted to keep the code requirement (a vast minority,
> believe it or not).  It's pretty good reading so check it out:
> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-178A1.pdf

The real reason some wanted the code requirement is to keep out "CB'ers"
(a USA colloquialism). Unfortunately, bad operators have been a part of
HF forever. It's why the ARRL was formed. All the crap you hear on late
night 75M has been around forever. The net wars on 20M with the
Intercontinental and maritime mobile nets being harassed by the B.A.R.F.
were a disgrace.

Getting more normal people on HF will keep it cleaner.

And I'm a no-code General, soon to be Extra. I was a no-code tech 14
years ago too.