[rescue] RAID on Solaris x86

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu May 15 19:39:41 CDT 2008

>From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>Date: 2008/05/15 Thu PM 01:17:06 EDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] RAID on Solaris x86

>Earl Baugh wrote:
>> Let me dig here...Ah found it.  Here's the card:
>> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/megaraid_sas_8408e/index.html?remote=1&locale=EN
>>
>> I actually read the downloads and it's got a Solaris x86 (32 and 64 bit)
>> driver.
>> The list prices I've found for these were in the $500-$700 range per card.
>> (yes, it was a very nice gift!)
>> I did some checking after I got it and didn't find any of this model "cheap"
>> on EBay...just checked, and there
>> are some in the $500 range...
>

>As I suspected, well outside my present budget.  Does look like a nice
>card though.

I've been testing my $30 SiI3114-based "RAID" card, and it blows. Seriously, for anything other than JBOD the system crawls (lots lower than IDE on the same box), but I suspect my 2 GHz Celeron is not helping the card very much. Resynch of a 3x 500 Gig RAID 5 array takes over 12 hours, hardware or Windows Server 2003 "soft" RAID...

JBOD runs very nicely though.

Lionel