[rescue] Dayton Hamfest

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:55:07 CDT 2008

Eh, learning the code isn't hard.  They dumbed it down from something
near 30 words per minute (27? something like that) to 5 words per
minute across the board for all ham tests.  As of 2/23/07, they
completely dropped the requirement for morse code, which brings our
amateur radio exams in line with the rest of the world.  There is a
lot of drama associated with the decision to drop the code requirement
which I won't get into, but it's gone now.

Incidentally, Thailand's telegraph service just ended this month:
http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=91565

I like the idea of code, but it's 2008 and there are faster, more
reliable means of communication out there.  The ham community has
pushed to keep the requirement around for the wrong reasons (read the
FCC's report if you're interested), but that doesn't mean it didn't
have its place.

-Bob (N3XKB)