[rescue] Foiled again! *gnash*

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 14 19:58:22 CDT 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> The bad news:  There's no point in me running Solaris 10 on it because
> the 3Ware 9500 controller in it is completely unsupported under
> Solaris x86.  Can't see the disks at all.  And if I don't run Solaris
> 10 or OpenSolaris on it, I don't get to use ZFS or zones.

Yep.  I hit that -exact- -same- -blockade- with my Xeon box.  Neither
3ware nor Sun is inclined to support the other's products for some
reason.

FreeBSD 7, however, has excellent support for those devices, and I've
been very happy with it.  I don't get the virtualization stuff I wanted
to play with under Solaris, but I get an OS that talks to my storage.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi