[rescue] Help the ailing Frankenmac

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon May 12 13:41:24 CDT 2008

I got an Ugh Level grumpy message from: Mark
> On 12 May 2008, at 16:32, Steve Hatle wrote:
>>
>> That's true- I've had it bring machines back from the dead, and I've
>> had it
>> do absolutely nothing.
>>
>> Like Bill's experience, the CUDA button along with battery pulling,
>> NVRAM
>> resets, PRAM resets and the dead chicken are all effective tools in
>> combination to get a Mac back on it's feet :-)
>
> I tell ya, you'll still not get a better factory reset then pulling
> the power and battery and leaving it to sulk. It's worked for me on an
> uncountable number of previous occasions. I wonder if pulling the
> battery and pushing the CUDA switch for 10 secs actually accelerates
> the process? It's hard to tell with diagnosing Mac hardware, as
> there's a lot of folklore and contradicting information, 90% of which
> is total Bullshit that Mac hardware techies conclude from this one
> time when they did something hey can't actually remember what they did
> and it worked so that's how EVERYONE ELSE should do it in future. Some
> of them are almost as bad as the users... :\

I will agree with most of this statement.  And I've used the power-off/no
battery technique before myself.

> On the subject of helping ailing Frankenmacs...
>
> I need help to revive my 9600. It killed a perfectly good Radeon 7000,
> then a few months later it upped and stopped working. It's been in a
> total sulk, and won't boot up (power but no chime). I've tried
> **everything** and concluded it may actually be the logic board that's
> knackered. Shame, I really like the 9600. It's a joy to work on
> (unlike it's replacement). Anyone (in the UK) got a 9600 or 8600 board
> skulking around they know works? I've got all the other parts sat here
> in a 8550 WGS at the moment (horrible, horrible Mac, but it works
> pretty well).

Curiosity question - is a 9500 case able to take a 9600 system board?

--
Mike Hebel

See with eyes unclouded, think with mind uncluttered, act with heart
unchained!