[rescue] Help the ailing Frankenmac

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 11 17:05:10 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:43:33PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> You'd think so, but time tested method has taught me it doesn't matter what
> instantaneous method you use, there's no way you can actually clear it
> properly if it's corrupt. IIRC the CUDA doesn't reset everything in the
> PRAM anyway. I've had machines die so far they wouldn't even chime on
> power-on and nothing, including CUDA resetting worked. Removing all power
> sources effectively leads to the computer forgetting it ever existed, which
> is about the best factory reset you're ever gonna get!

Well, whatever combination I did of:

- removing power
- removing NVRAM battery
- resetting CUDA
- holding down CUDA
- holding down power switch

etc., worked - the system is now configured as such:

- 4 256M PC100 DIMMs (thanks Will!)
- One single 36G HD (tempted to install an 80G IDE instead tho, if I can
			get my hands on one)
- Radeon 7000 PCI Mac Edition video card
- Removed the ZIP drive completely

OS 9.2.2 is now installing.  I've got the HD partitioned five ways, so I
can do this setup:

- OS9.2.2 (mostly for firmware updates, etc)
- OSX 10.1 (if I can get 10.0 install media plus a 10.1 update CD
  somewhere - gave mine away years ago)
- OSX 10.2 (have media images)
- OSX 10.3 (install media came with the box)
- OSX 10.4 (got it around here somewhere)

Should be interesting...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford