[rescue] Help the ailing Frankenmac

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sun May 11 16:43:33 CDT 2008

On 11 May 2008, at 22:29, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 04:11:46PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:04:28PM +0100, Mark wrote:
>>> Pull the NVRAM battery and all the power from it and leave it to
>>> stew for a
>>> day or so. It's possible all the device swapping has mangled the
>>> PRAM
>>> values a bit. I've had this no end of times with PowerMacs.
>> Will do.  Thanks.
>
> Question though - shouldn't the CUDA reset have done this?

You'd think so, but time tested method has taught me it doesn't matter
what instantaneous method you use, there's no way you can actually
clear it properly if it's corrupt. IIRC the CUDA doesn't reset
everything in the PRAM anyway. I've had machines die so far they
wouldn't even chime on power-on and nothing, including CUDA resetting
worked. Removing all power sources effectively leads to the computer
forgetting it ever existed, which is about the best factory reset
you're ever gonna get!

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: