[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon May 5 13:28:20 CDT 2008

Josh wrote:

> I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that new drives might
> very well use less power.

   Fair point. But what I have are several IDE drives and this PC. :7)
But that leads into this:

> Anyway, have you looked at any of the various off the self linux
> NAS devices?  There are several fairly affordable models that
> shouldn't take much power, and should support GigE nicely.

   Bluntly, I haven't looked much past the prices I saw, most north of
$200, and I'm operating on a budget of under $100 plus any parts I can
scrounge at home or here at work. So I gotta ask, what's "affordable" to
you? (Knowing something about your life changes from the past few years
[which reminds me: did I see you write "wife"? Congratulations!], I
think I'm where you were financially, about a year ago -- only with me
it's the latest kid.)

   I like the idea of flashing one of these "simple" devices and turning
loose more of the Linux inside. I have seen the Linksys devices (too
big, too expensiove), and I saw the now-cancelled "Slug" (SLU-2?). What
else is out there that you had in mind when you wrote? Beside giving
"cheap nas linux" to Google, I mean?

   I have an IPX plus a really nice external SCSI case (conatining and
IDE-to-SCSI converter board), which is my last resort. *gulp*

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt