[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Mon May 5 03:02:54 CDT 2008

On 04/05/2008, Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joost van de Griek wrote:
>
> > My B&W G3 is a rev. 1 with 4-port FirmTek SATA card driving 80 (OS) and
>> 250 (data) GB WD drives, 1.1 GHz PPC750FX, 1 GB RAM and a Radeon 9200. Makes
>> a great server running Tiger (10.4). Only thing I need to add to it now, is
>> a gigabit Ethernet card.
>
> I'm thinking my Quicksilver + an IDE card would make a good backup system
> with the TimeMachine system preferences hack for unsupported network volumes
> if you could get software RAID 5 or a ZFS pool on there.  Anyone heard
> anything about the "when" of full ZFS support on OS X?

Last I heard, it went Beta. I haven't been paying much attention to
it, I just run HFS+, for now.

>> A Quicksilver would certainly be quieter than using an unused PC, and
>> cheaper than a NAS appliance.

I'm not closely acquainted with the G4 PowerMacs, having jumped from a
Cube to a G5, but I can imagin ethem being slightly better designed
than your average PC, much like the B&W G3's. Although there is still
room for improvement. Quieter fans can make a lot of difference.

I'm toying with the idea of switching from Mac OS X Server to
[Net|Open]BSD for the G3 server, since Tiger is the last supported
version (no XPostFacto voodoo possible, here; Leopard is compiled for
G4, and binarily impossible to run on G3 hardware).

.tsooJ