[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 4 15:22:23 CDT 2008

On May 4, 2008, at 14:18 , Jerry Kemp wrote:

> I *really* hope you are joking...
>
> At $work, we are replacing V480's, V490's & V880's like crazy with
> T5K's due to:
>
> * saved rack space
> * cooling & power requirements in the data center
> * big CPU HP jump
>
> We have lots of T5X20's, but we got our first T5140 last week to
> begin working with in our testing tier.  Its amazing to see mpstat
> show 128 processors.
>
> There is just nothing in the x86 world that comes close to touching
> the new T5K servers for our work load.

That might be true for you, but X86 CPUs are powering everything from
small machines to supercomputers now, and for 99% of the world, they
are taking over.

It sucks, but there it is.

It's getting harder and harder to spend money on alternatives and less
and less R&D money is going into better technology.

What also sucks is that they are not spending that money on improving
X86 support technology like BIOS, busses, etc.

Seems most of it is going to executive compensation and bribery any
more, but that's a different topic.