[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sun May 4 11:47:25 CDT 2008

    On Sun, 4 May 2008, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> How does software that runs on an HP x86 box not run on a Sun x86 box?

    I'm fighting a rear-guard battle at $PPOE to retain Solaris-on-
SPARC that I expect to lose in the next year or so.  Sun's pricing
on the SPARC gear is out of line -- performance-wise -- with what
can get done on an x86 system, and my argument about not wanting
to jump on the monoculture bandwagon doesn't seem to hold much water
in a world of completely non-technical Management.

    Sooner or later, some creative type *will* come up with an x86
piece of "malware" that's cross-platform and will target the under-
lying CPU; heck it might be in the wild already just waiting for a
certain moment in time to blow the x86's underlying RISC core's
microcode to all nulls and turn a goodly chunk of the computing
infrastructure into bricks in a flash (sorry for that pun).  A
SPARC system (or anything other than an x86 would be immune to
these shenanigans because they can't run native x86 code -- which,
in my book, is a Good Thing.

    I am not looking forward to the day where a simple sysadmin
needs the equivalent of a T-1 line just so he can deal with the
GUI-only interfaces that are taking over.  Give me a nice simple
serial interface (like OBP) any day of the week over glitz, splash,
and flash.