[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 2 18:57:53 CDT 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 16:47 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 04:27:48PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Two weeks ago I retired my last Sun machines.  I replaced them with
>> one machine that is faster than all of them, and also nearly silent.
>
> That is sad.

I know, I really hated to do it.

However, facts are facts:

The new server is whisper quiet and powerful, and runs 24/7 regardless
of load, and is very easy to care for.

The Sun systems were far too hot and power hungry for the work they
could do.

A Sun system with enough power costs more than I can afford.  That
alone pretty much kills the idea of me replacing them with more Sun
systems, plus most of them are pretty noisy and power hungry.

I did look at Sun x86, but the truth is they are just PCs, and they
are bigger than the Dell while offering the same speed and storage.

It was just really hard to justify another Sun right now.

However... times change, and I'm expecting my lack of a "server room"
to be temporary, so who knows what's coming in the future.

I'm also not ruling out future Sun x86, it just wasn't a good idea
right now.

>> Even though I like the quiet and can get more work done, it took me
>> several days to get used to it.
>
> In the apartment I lived in, the computers were in the living room and
> there was no where you could go in the apartment to get quiet.
>

> When we moved into our house in October, the computer got their own
> area
> in the basement,

That's a good arrangement.  I wish...

> But I like  the relative silence.  Truth is though that I can hear
> my G4
> from anywhere on that floor.  Well, I could until I turned it off
> because the hard drive was starting to fail.  I'll fix that soon
> though.

I can now hear the fans speed up to cool off my NAS server now.
Before I thought it never ran hot enough to trigger them... :)

For the first time in about 12 years, I can hear the heads on hard
drives chattering.

Of course, you know what happens when you get rid of "all but one
server"...

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com