[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Fri May 2 07:30:58 CDT 2008

On 2 May 2008, at 13:10, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:29:59AM +0100, Mark wrote:
>
>> There's nothing wrong with Rev 1 boards as long as you don't use the
>> slow IDE buses (never EVER put a slave drive on it) for anything and
>> avoid putting more than one device on the FireWire, or overloading
>> the
>> USB with data. TBH I think the Firewire was still broken on the G4/
>> PCI
>> version of that board, I've never got me Rev 2 B&W FireWire to work
>> right even.
>
> But would you spend money on any upgrades to one?

Asks a man talking to a man who already has?

Seriously though, I have spent a significant amount on upgrading it by
buying things at good prices when they came along. I used it as my
main Mac for quite a long time, and as my secondary for a long time
after that (it does Photoshop 7/Illustrator 10 much better than a iMac/
800) so it stood the test of time and upgrades (contrary to a lot of
people's assignations about Macs!!). If you look in the right places
(read: not eBay) you can get most upgrade parts at reasonable prices
and if the base machine was free then what you spend is what it costs
so you stop wherever you feel it's still worth it. Either way, you can
put together a useful, expandable Mac with the space to take 4 hard
drives, and the performance of a near Mac Mini G4 scale. Only bind is
it's not gonna run Leopard reliably, but that's no biggy while 10.4.9
upwards are still widely supported.

I have quite an attachment to mine, as *I* see the B&W G3 as the real
start of the revolution at Apple. It was a bold statement of
widespread intent on their part, not just a single market idea. It
arguably changed the way people looked at PCs as much as the iMac did.
It proved you could take a standard form factor (midi-tower) and make
it look good, and work superbly well as a design, and still comply
with regulation requirements like PC99. It's a shame no-one else in
the PC world decided it was a good idea, or we wouldn't still be stuck
with Dells and generics with motherboards buried under all the wires
and crap in a deep dark hole. Even Apple went back to that in the end :(

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>