[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Fri May 2 07:19:04 CDT 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 14:10, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:29:59AM +0100, Mark wrote:
>
>> There's nothing wrong with Rev 1 boards as long as you don't use the
>> slow IDE buses (never EVER put a slave drive on it) for anything and
>> avoid putting more than one device on the FireWire, or overloading
>> the
>> USB with data. TBH I think the Firewire was still broken on the G4/
>> PCI
>> version of that board, I've never got me Rev 2 B&W FireWire to work
>> right even.
>
> But would you spend money on any upgrades to one?

Depends on the cost of the base system, and the cost of the upgrades.
I bought two B&W's, both with PowerLogix 1 GHz G3's already installed.
No, *I* wouldn't drop the retail price of the upgrade for an old G3,
normally. But with a bit of effort, these systems can make great,
cheap PowerPC boxen that can be upgraded to perform rather admirably
for very little money.

YMMV, and to each their own, of course.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make
you want to live to be a hundred.