[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu May 1 08:38:44 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:54:10AM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:

>    Can a Blue & White G# actually address that much RAM? If not, I've
> got a pair of 128MB PC133 Value RAM (a.k.a. Kingston) sticks that you
> can have outright.

It can hold 4 DIMMS. It can address up to 128 megabytes per set of
8 chips, so you can have 512m of RAM with 4 128m DIMMs, 1g of RAM
with 4 16 chip 256m DIMMs, or 512m of RAM with 4 8 chip 256m DIMMs.

The DIMMs have to have to be the same speed 100/133 and type, e.g.
2-2-2. For some reason you could assort them under OS9, but it won't
work under OSX.

IMHO it had better be a version 2 motherboard, otherwise, it's not
worth the effort. The best you will be able to do without extra
hardware is a single 10g IDE hard drive and if you replace the optical
drive a 16X PC CDROM or 4X DVD drive.

The motherboard will not support 66mHz DMA, but MacOS will try to use it,
so you need drives that are not capable of going faster than 33mHz. Apple
sold faster hard and optical drives which were "fixed" in the firmware.
The same fix was in OSX 10.0-10.2, but not 10.3 or later.

Geoff.