[rescue] Question of how to "smooth" power from Laser printer

Fri Mar 28 17:40:50 CDT 2008

> I do like those older, close-to-bulletproof HP laserjets.  Last job,
> we had several LJII and LJIIIs that just wouldn't die.  They actually
> had replaceable parts!

I have a IIISi.  A real Timex of a printer.

One of the power-supply decoupling caps failed shorted, or at least
semi-shorted, and spat enough sparks to eat a substantial hole in the
PC board under it.  It seemed likely there were no signal etch runs
destroyed - the cap was near a corner, and I couldn't see any etch runs
heading up to the damage and ending there - so I replaced the cap, left
it under power overnight to burn away any small shorts, and...it's
worked fine ever since.

Quality as in working solidly is rare enough.  Quality as in working
solidly even after physical damage that you'd expect would fry things,
that makes it a definite keeper. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca