[rescue] Question of how to "smooth" power from Laser  printer

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 28 08:20:28 CDT 2008

>From: Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>
>Date: 2008/03/28 Fri AM 07:00:29 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Question of how to "smooth" power from Laser  printer

>On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 06:45:24AM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
>[...]
>> I could send you my Color LaserJet 5 if you want? That should flicker your
>> ballasts quite nicely. You pay shipping of course. ;-)
>
>Hey, it'd be an upgrade from my LaserJet 4 :)
>
>(Which I'm probably going to dispose of shortly as I'd like something with a
>bit more grunt.)

If you want grunt (distinct from grace), I like my HP 5Si MX - it holds a several month supply of paper, prints duplex, and is quite large (includes it's own pedestal - it's floor-standing ;^).

Of course it is only 600x600, but it supports PostScript, has JetDirect interfaces, and goes to sleep when not in use (not so bad on the power usage).

LaserJet 4000 series printers are very nice too, if you are looking for something less furniture-like. If you were local to me, I have a couple LJ4000-series printers to shed, but I can't justify shipping them (don't think they'd survive a UPS/FedEx trip in non-original packaging).

Lionel