[rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

linc linc at thelinuxlink.net
Thu Mar 27 17:35:19 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> But, then which Bible do you follow?  One that was influenced in any way
> by the Councils of Carthage in the fourth and fifth centuries?  The
> councils where early synods of the Catholic Church decided which Gospel
> was Canon and which wasn't?

Actually, early Christians had established most all of the new testament
cannon while the Apostles were still alive.  There are several
historical example mentionings of Christians getting together to read
the "memoirs of the Apostles", etc., in the early half of the second
century AD.  Those, at least, were the most important and prominent
writings of the time.  Now what the church councils did after a while
was get together and decide on which minor writings really belonged with
those they knew were already historically established.  That's where we
get the Apocrypha.  Those apocryphal books are the ones which just don't
seem to fit with the rest, weather it's because the authorship was in
doubt or the material seemed to diverge from the rest of the established
accounts.  Reading them in contrast with the rest of the books it's
really easy to tell why they were left off.

So, in answer to your question about which Bible, there is only one.  It
has been retranslated many different times, by many different groups of
people.  It has had the slants of different people and organizations
applied, it has been written in vastly different ways like a story book,
even a comic book and coloring book, and has been translated into
thousands of different languages.  But the truth of the matter is they
all say the same fundamental thing.

I am sure I probably have more different versions of the Bible than most
people, and I can authoritatively say that the publisher listed in the
cover doesn't make much real difference ;-)  Now if you want to argue
which version I think is probably more historically correct or more
beautifully written, that's a whole different story :-)

--
-Linc Fessenden