[rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Mar 27 13:48:00 CDT 2008

" From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
"
" [0] Though we're well on our way to buying that particular problem,
"      since we can't seem to keep our collective nose out of the problems
"      (real or perceived) of the rest of the planet.

i believe dick cheney has publically stated that he wants the us to
have more influence in the middle east.  i don't know if he's admitted
that as the reason he started the war.

" From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
"
" Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
" >> There have been Muslims in the world for a very long time.  How is it
" >> that only recently we have this problem?  We didn't have Muslims tearing
" >> through towns and setting them alight "for Allah" 100 years ago or
" >> bombing stagecoaches or the like.  Rather than enslave the world in
" >> surveillance and fear, perhaps we should try to solve the root of that
" >> problem?
" >
" > Last time they gave the West problems, they were booted out of what is
" > now southern Spain and several wars were fought, called Crusades.
" >
" > The root answer is forceful subjugation of Muslim countries and
" > deportation / the most severe restrictions on immigration unless they
" > swear off such violence, explicitly.
"
" Don't get me started on the Crusades.  The Crusades were a Christian
" Jihad.

without question, but they were provoked by a moslem - the sultan of
egypt decided to close jerusalem and the holy land to infidels.  the
historical record [crusades aside] suggests the sultan may not have
been completely balanced.

" What your suggesting would evaporate any moral high-ground for
" the Western countries.  There would be no difference between the Western
" countries and Iran.  You can't attack from a moral high-ground by
" standing in the gutter.
"
" Terrorism is as valid a tool of political change as war is.  Extremism
" is the problem on both sides of this issue.  One can't fight extremism
" by becoming extremist.

indeed.  remember kant's [i think] quote, be careful when you fight
monsters that you don't become a monster yourself.

the mafia are an example of this.  they started as a guerilla
organization trying to overthrow a very corrupt government in
medieval sicily.  they succeeded too well.