[rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Mar 27 10:15:41 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:30:22AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I think the cold reality is that TSA and other security measures added a
> couple hours to each trip, expanding the window where driving makes sense -
> i.e. I'll drive anywhere up to 12 hours away (by myself, 8 hours if it
> is the family traveling) - it takes an hour to get to the airport, two
> hours at the airport, another hour (at least) getting a rental car at
> the other end and then likely another hour to get from the airport to
> my destination. That's five hours PLUS travel time, and it is quite
> expensive (relative to a coule tanks of gas, even at $4/gallon)...

> I live in NJ, and I'd fly if my destination was Chicago or beyond, or
> south of North Carolina - I won't fly to the Hew England area or any
> place closer than the two previous destinations. It's not worth it.
>
> Don't forget, if you drive, you can stay for an extra few hours
> without any great impact to you travel plans - something you can't do
> when you fly.

I've been known to fly from southern PA to Norfolk already for an under
24 hour trip.  I didn't want to have to spend 2 nights in a row
driving.  I don't regret that, but they weren't very nice flights
either.

In retrospect though, I should have looked into taking the train.  The
ride from here to NY is very nice, and I think that the same line runs
south some distance as well.  I don't know if it would have worked, but
it would have been worth a look.

Certainly, if I was going to Boston, I'd be looking at the train.

5-6 hours is somewhat the limit of what I really want to drive, although
for money reasons I'll usually drive further anyway.