[rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Mar 27 06:06:48 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 06:38:21AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I have more than once speculated that the real purpose of the TSA is to
> make air travel so intolerable that nobody in the US flies any more.
> The one thing I can't figure out is what the win in this is for the
> government.

If you have ever flown El-Al, you understand why the TSA does what it
does. El-Al uses all sorts of politicaly incorrect methods of spotting
the people who may be terrorists and questioning and inspecting them.

The TSA does basicly the same thing, but since they can't use those
methods they have to use a 10 pound hammer to accomplish what could be
done with a pair of tweezers if left alone.

The win in it for the U.S. Government is that they "keep the skys safe"
and don't spend all of their energy fighting lawsuits.

> I suspect half the reason the airlines are doing so poorly is that a
> very large chunk of the previously-flying public *are* saying "Screw
> that shit, I'll drive", or just not going at all.

I agree with conclusion but not the reason. With the high cost of
gasoline, IMHO too many people are worried about being able to afford to
drive to the nearest Wal-Mart, because they can no longer afford
to shop at more expensive stores, let alone take a vacation.

Geoff.