[rescue] Question on a power supply for a Windows mobile handheld

John Lengeling John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Wed Mar 26 15:36:35 CDT 2008

I got a free Symbol MC5040 handheld Windows mobile device in excellent
unused condition.  It comes with a cradle but I don't have the AC
adaptor which will recharge the handheld when it is in the cradle.  The
battery has now discharged... :-(

I tried looking for references to the correct size AC adaptor but I
can't find anything online.  I also don't want to purchase an official
blessed Symbol AC adaptor as it is $$$.

The cradle has a label indicating that the DC rating is:  5,4 Vdc, 3A.
The battery is a 3.7V Li-ion 3600mAh.  I don't understand what "5,4"
means.  5.4Volts?  3amps?  That seems like a lot of current.  The local
radio shack has 5V 1A wall adaptors.  Think that would work?

Anyone have any suggestions?