[rescue] a 'data' rescue

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Mar 24 12:10:53 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> I have almost 10TB of data.  That would *so* not work for me, from a
> cost perspective.

4U server, 16 SATA drive bays each with 750GB drives.  About $2K in
hardware if you can get the case cheap enough.

Cost to host monthly about $125-150 depending the amps it pulls .

Most web and colocation companies do not care about inbound, they care
about outbound.  If you tell them you are pushing mostly inbound, they
will let you.

Will take a few months to fill it though - use rsync with the bandwidth
limiting command line and you won't even notice it affecting your net
connection.

Might want to do the initial rsync while the machine is still on the
local network however :-)

--Patrick