[rescue] a 'data' rescue

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Mar 24 10:31:27 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:45:56AM -0700, Rick Hamell wrote:
> but it feels good to actually have a real backup for once
> that doesn't rely on an old tape drive that I'm not sure will spin up
> the next time, or DVD's that are months out of date.

I guess it depends on what kind of tape you're using, but I'd be more
worried about a disk drive spinning up the next time than a tape drive,
if you're using decent quality tape technologies (and good media).  DLT,
SDLT, and LTO are the only things I'd think of touching as far as tape
media goes these days.  The price of LTO-2 stuff keeps plummeting, and
$20 (or less) for a good quality (Fujifilm) 200GB (native) tape doesn't
seem all that bad to me.

My $0.02

Pat