[rescue] a 'data' rescue

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 08:48:57 CDT 2008

William Enestvedt wrote:
> I sent a disk to OnTrack and they got, well, everything. But *criminey*
> was it expensive.
>
>    A friend of mine `dd`'ed a failing disk to a file and then ran
> searches for file header strings, copying out all the data he could find
> after each one into separate data files. Me, not so macho -- thus
> OnTrack. (Also, someone else paid!)

Say what you will about OnTrack and companies like them, but they are
good at getting damaged data back. They're expensive, but it's amazing
what they can pull off of a damaged hard drive. My previous job used
them quite extensively after our own software utilities failed or the
hard drive was too physically damaged. Out of a couple of dozen drives
only one was far enough gone that it was unrecoverable.

--
Rick Hamell
Tech Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog