[rescue] HP 700-series "Parallax Power Video" question

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Mar 12 16:58:16 CDT 2008

" From: "Skeezics Boondoggle" <skeezicsb at gmail.com>
"
" I've got a 755 and a 725 that both came up just fine.  The 755's disks
" made some disconcerting sounds upon first boot, but fsck'ed fine and
" both machines are alive again.  "xntpd" wasn't too pleased to jump the
" clock forward 8 YEARS, and I'd forgotten just how weird and annoying
" HP-UX 9.0x could be, but I'm pleased that these two machines seem to
" check out fine.

fwiw if you can get a hold of it, they'll both run 10.20 even though
they're not afaik on the support list.  ~10y ago i was at a major hp
shop with a lot of 715s etc, on a team preparing for a shop-wide 9.0x
- 10.x cutover.  i had a 705 in my test setup, and 10.20 just worked
on it.

one thing i definitely liked about hpux 10.20 - they compiled ksh88
with the posix switches on and installed it as /bin/sh.  this makes
it easy to get ksh goodness for root without worrying if you'll break
anything that relies on 'pure' /bin/sh behavior.