[rescue] PC Hardware

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 11 05:42:55 CDT 2008

>From: Aaron Finley <aaronfinley at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/03/11 Tue AM 12:07:45 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Help finding flat cable to slimline IDE adapter

<snip>

>Finally, I found "reset to optimal settings" on the
>last page of the BIOS menu. Everything just worked from there. Oh
>well.

You know, I've built several dozen PCs over the years and read many articles
on building PCs and I've never had a reason to use that BIOS option, and the
few times I've tried it it never made a difference, but many MB manuals cite
that as one of their first suggestions.

Another PC hardware story - I've put together a "nice" system (i.e. not based
on the cheapest parts available) this past weekend, but there was an annoying
problem with the fans - there was a constant "rub" noise coming from the
chassis with 3 fans (front, back, and CPU) plus one in the power supply, and I
couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I stopped each fan individually
(by either pulling the connector off the MB or physically stopping the fan)
and I couldn't make the noise stop. It had a cycle of about 2 or three Hz, and
it was just loud enough to drive me crazy. Then I decided it was the Power
Supply, but when I tested it out of the case it didn't make the noise either -
I was at a loss, and I was going to scream. (I yelled at the system a few
times in frustration)

Then I had a thought - I strapped the case fans (front and back) to the 12V
power bus directly (the case came with adapters to do this already) and the
noise was gone. Sun of a gun - the issue appears to be the fan control of the
MB and the fans aren't playing nicely together (probably pulsing the power to
the fans to throttle the speed). I've never seen anything like that before -
I'd prefer to have the fans controlled by the MB, but I'm happy to have a
quiet (and plenty cold) system now...

Gotta love PC hardware. Gotta, otherwise you'll go crazy!

Lionel