[rescue] Ultra 60 memory

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Mar 10 06:48:13 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:04:23AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> (Un?)Fortunately, I've never been masochistic enough to try using a
> SPARC box as a workstation.
>
> I think the main problem is that you're expecting a 10 year old machine
> (I just looked it up on SunSolve, and the U60 was introduced in June
> 1998!) to be fast with modern (bloated) software.... :)
>
> Pat (who runs Debian on his Ultra 60(s))

An U60 makes a very useful secondary workstation if it is largely used
for displaying things. For example, I control mine using synergy from
my linux box. Currently running opensolaris nevada b70 on it - it's
nice to bring up .pdf documentation even in adobe reader on the java
desktop. It only gets slow if more than a few firefox tabs are open
together.

Cheers,
Jonathan