[rescue] Ultra 60 memory

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sun Mar 9 05:45:09 CDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 10:23:05PM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> What OS (Solaris in particular) would be fastest on the U60 hardware.  It
> is running 8 now... but I know I get memory leak issues in the X server
> (which clear up some when firefox is killed and restarted... so not
> entirely the X server's fault).  Plus I'm not anywhere near up to date on
> patches (can they be had for free anymore these days) ?

To be honest, I've had good results running NetBSD and FreeBSD on my U60s.
NetBSD doesn't yet support SMP on 64-bit SPARC, but I found it worked very
well as a workstation OS with my dual Creator3D single CPU machine (NetBSD
supports both heads with accelerated 2D).

FreeBSD supports SMP and I run it on my dual 450 U60. I've not tried
X11 on it though, but apparently it does work well.

Both NetBSD and FreeBSD *seemed* faster than Solaris on those machines.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net     | http://mjturner.net/