[rescue] A cheap flat panel display that would work good for Suns...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 9 19:49:55 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 06:25:12PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 06:06 PM 3/9/2008, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >Same resolution: 1280x1024.
> >
> >I'm starting to appreciate large displays, even if they are the same
> >resolution.
> >
> >For instance, 22" is much nicer than 20" or 15".  I was shocked by
> >how much just 2" made in how I felt about the resolution.
>
> Weird.  Were you able to place the larger display farther away?

Yeah.  The 15" 1680x1050 is a laptop, so I can only place it as far away
as the keyboard (work doesn't have any USB keyboards for me to grab, and
I haven't broken down and bought my own for work yet).  The 22" display
is 32-36 inches away from me.

But the really stunning difference was comparing 20" and 22" next to
each other.  It was really worth the extra money to get the 22"
display.

For linux higher resolution still would be nice, but for OSX I am pretty
happy with 1680x1050.

For Irix, I still have a 20" CRT running at 1280x1024.

> I've a strange dual setup at work: 19" and 17", both at
> 1280x1024.  No real preference for one side over the other.  I do not
> let windows span both monitors, however.

The last time I had a 19" and 17" monitors next to each other, they were
both CRTs.  I ran the 17" at 1024x768 at that time, I think.  For that
reason I certainly prefered the 19" one.