[rescue] A cheap flat panel display that would work good for Suns...

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Mar 9 17:04:04 CDT 2008

At 01:49 PM 3/7/2008, der Mouse wrote:
> > Even moderately expensive LCDs often won't letter box.
>
> > I think I've only seen letter boxing (or window boxing) on laptops.
>
>I have personally seen it on a flatscreen (a non-CRT flatscreen; I
>assume LCD, though I don't actually know what technology it was).  But
>it was one of the very earliest, before they got pushed into
>mass-market-driven "save 10" here, 25" there" cost-cutting and the
>resulting feature-cutting.

Samsung SyncMaster 170MP?  (That's the one with the built in TV
tuner.)  I just set my PC to output 1152x864 and it was scaled
(ugly).  Then I went into the menu and set it to normal display mode
(instead of zoom), and sure enough, non-scaled window box
(sharp).  Very nice.  I've used this panel with SS/2s and Octanes
before, so I'm reasonably certain that it supports SOG.

As old as it is, they're bound to be cheap these days.

--
newell