[rescue] A cheap flat panel display that would work good for Suns...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 7 11:19:09 CST 2008

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2008/03/07 Fri AM 10:47:36 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] A cheap flat panel display that would work good for Suns...

>On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:58:00AM -0500, Earl Baugh wrote:
>> In my new rack set up, I've got a Sun KVM, and I was thinking of getting an
>> inexpensive flat panel
>> that I could hook up to it.  Used would work, if it had a good
>> picture...under $100 would be just perfect...
>> (I know, I can dream 8-) )
>
>Every now and then you can get lucky.
>
>I managed to snag a 17" LCD from Costco for under $100 (after tax even!)
>a few months ago.
>
>> and I do have KVM to HD15 for VGA monitors.   I'd like something that
>> supports the 1152x900 resolution
>
>I would think you'd either want to bump the suns down or up to 1024x768
>or 1280x1024.  I've never see a LCD that does 1152x900 natively and
>scaling tends to be extremely ugly.

Agreed - 1152x900 could get ugly once scalled to a different resolution.

BTW, I have a "spare" 15 inch LCD I'd be happy to shed for $75 (including ConUS shipping) - it is 1024x768 and has some sort of trivial speaker setup internally. It has a fairly large lip panel around the display, perfect for password post-its (esp. the secure ones, where you fold the bottom around to hide the password ;^).

Contact me off-list if interested, I can send pictures if interested.

Lionel