[rescue] Creative uses for old DAT/DLT/exabyte/etc tape drives?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Mar 7 07:55:13 CST 2008

Has anyone on the list come up with a creative use for old tape drives
- I have a sun 611 external exabyte 8mm tape drive (for which I have
one old 8mm cartridge). Now before I gut it and insert a modern SATA
drive into the chassis, I was wondering if any of the rescue folks
have found better uses for *old* tape drives - is it even worth the
effort in using a drive with such small capacity nowadays when we have
cheap DVD-R* and large hard disks?

Cheers,
Jonathan.