[rescue] Sun T1000 question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Mar 6 20:23:24 CST 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 06:14:36PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Does anyone know why the T1000 takes 1 SATA disk or 2 SAS disks?  Is it
> something about putting both drive bays on the same channel?

I have a T1K.

The original ones that shipped (like mine) had a single SATA disk in a
single bracket, a 3.5" disk:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/139849852/

A little while after the run started, they started offereing them with two
2.5" SAS disks, which fit into the space taken up by the single 3.5" disk
(different disk bracket).

There's two control "ports" on the motherboard; I'm guessing that they're
actaully SAS (which can also control SATA, but not the other way around).
If you could get 2.5" SATA drives I think you could fit two of them into
the T1K without problem with the right bracket.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas