[rescue] disabling framebuffer card on U10?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 05:36:40 CST 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM, James Hartley <jjhartley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I sometimes find myself in situations where I need to move a U10
> containing a framebuffer card, but I have forgotten to carry a
> 13W3-to-VGA adapter.  Is there any way I can use the U10's VGA
> connector without removing the framebuffer card?
>
> Thanks for any insight shared.

Yes,

in the obp, change the definition of the variable "output-device" to the
address of the internal/onboard graphics circuit.

the obp manual can be found on docs.sun.com

you will have to ascertain the hardware address of the onboard graphics
and either create an alias for the hardware address or use the hardware
address itself
change the variable "output-device" to the aliase or the hardware address.

the obp manual give the instructions for creating and using the alias.

i haven't done this in years, so i pull out the manual and follow the
instructions.

the process of changing the variable is fairly simple; the hardware address
has to be copied correctly.