[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 22 12:20:23 CST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 12:21:40PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> (you say procs when you mean cores, BTW)

I'm pretty sure I meant processor.  After all, there are non-processor
cores.  And I don't really care if I got my 8 processors via quad core
chips in 2 sockets, dual core chips in 4 sockets, or the old fashioned
way of single core chips in 8 sockets, or some hypothetical future way
of a octa core chip in a single socket.

And then there were the processors that couldn't be contained in a
single core.  Like early RS/6000s (the RIOS-1 processor took 11 chips in
1990, a single chip implementation didn't come out till 1992).

Assuming that we are using sockets in the first place rather than BGA
chips.

> I'd wait for the free second processor upgrade - it's worth about
> $300.

If you want to wait, sure.

Still 8 "cores" for under $1k is a pretty good deal.  Unless you really,
really need more than 8 gigs of ram.  One program I use (albeit on the
Mac, so not relevent here anyway) would refuse to use more than 4
"cores" with only 8 gigs of ram.  For that matter, it refuses to use
both "cores" in my G4 since I only have 1 gig of ram.  Rather
infuriating that is.