[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 22 12:24:45 CST 2008

>From: Aaron Finley <nerp at atfinley.com>
>Date: 2008/01/22 Tue AM 10:46:41 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

>I'm looking for a cheap PC to act as a server, meaning something under a
>$1000. Dell's octocore SC1430 fit the bill, but that offer seems no
>longer. Anyone know if it will come back around again?
>
>My final configuration needs to be something like:
>
>- Quiet (will be behind a couch in my living room)
>- Dual core/quad core
>- 12-16GB of RAM
>- 200-300GB of Storage (can be cheap SATA, this is a home testbed)
>
>Anyone know of something that fits the bill? I'm willing to go a couple
>generations behind - a Dual Xeon would work, and then I could add the
>RAM and storage to it and come in under budget.

I realize you found your answer in your parts bin, but I saw this system this morning, and thought of it when I read your post:

Acer quad core desktop - 4 Gig max RAM, single CPU, 500 Gig HD, DX10-capable video card for $560 at BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8602407&type=product&id=1192232280889&&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=PGR&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=09-55651428-2

Of course, 8 cores are better than 4, but at the price, this is a nice little system (given it's limitations)...

Lionel