[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jan 19 18:50:15 CST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 05:21:14PM -0700, Robert Darlington wrote:
> I was actually being serious.  Only here could there be such relevant
> and yet completely off topic discussions.  I myself just upgraded to
> Extra last Saturday, still not showing up in ULS/QRZ (I'm N3XKB) yet.
> Even $girlie got her Technician.  Do any of you guys have a GROL?

I had a RROL (Restricted Radiotelephone Operators License) when I was 15;
had to get it in order to run the control board (and transmitter) at
KRPT-FM 103.7 in Anadarko, Oklahoma.

Other kids in high school flipped burgers.. I first "ran the board" for a
6pm-midnight night shift at the station for a couple years, then graduated
to actually doing my own announcements rather than playing recordings of
someone else doing it.  By the time I left four years later, the only
person who had been there longer than me was the owner.

Unfortunately I left the license in the station (I never officially "quit",
I just went on "reserve - im off at college 20 miles away - call me if
someone else dies or gets sick").  It's probably expired by now; this was
'90 or '91.  The station is gone as of 3-4 years ago; the call letters now
belong to a tejano station near San Antonio.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas