[rescue] SPARCbook 3gx

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 14:07:59 CST 2008

Hi, Geoff,

--- "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 02:32:48PM -0800, Curious
> George wrote:
> > I'll be using it as a "head" for other machines.
> > So, all it needs is to be able to get X up and
> > running so I can access those other machines.
> > I'm not looking for any sort of "speed daemon",
> > here...
>
> In that case you could use it as a diskless
> workstation
> and netboot it.

Excellent!!  That way, I don't even need the "sled"!
I can just fill the "opening" where the sled would
fit in by pouring stycast into it and waiting for it
to "set up".  That way, I would never have to worry
about it again!  It will make it useless as a true
"portable" but it will fit *my* needs quite well.

I wonder if I can pull the battery and squeeze a
power supply in there to get rid of the external
"power module"...?  Then it would be nice and
small, nothing "dangling" on the outside, etc.

Cool!

If that works, then I can probably get rid of
my Voyager (I think the SPARCbook is a faster
machine than the Voyager... I'll have to check).
Note to self:  remember to eBay the memory
modules!  :>

Thanks!  I'll start on this later this afternoon...