[rescue] Wide disk on Narrow bus, reprise

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 9 20:38:19 CST 2008

>From: Mark Brown <sunrescue at marknmel.com>
>Date: 2008/02/09 Sat PM 04:25:07 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Wide disk on Narrow bus, reprise

<snip>

>You could have 120 gig of fun in your LX this way.... :-)

I saw an interesting "two-way" IDE <-> SATA I adapter for $16 at microcenter.com[0] and I thought about trying one in an Ultra 5/10, but I realized the IDE "sukieness" of the Ultra 5/10 would kill any performance gain the SATA drive would offer. The adapter claimed to take IDE upto 133 MB/sec and mated that to 150 MB/sec SATA I.

It looked like an interesting item that I may want to add to my "toolbox" - you could deploy IDE on a SATA controller or a SATA device on an IDE controller. The most likely use for me would be to use an IDE DVD-R/W on a SATA controller...

Lionel

[0] http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266720