[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 11:20:37 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
> (And thanks to Francios for the further suggestions on Sol 10
> packages.  I'd like to convince them to use ZFS; we'll see how far
> that flies given they just bought "new" V490's since they don't think
> T5120's can "handle the database load".)

I run a v480 at home :)

I like bootable zfs because I dont have to try to predict how i'll be
using my disks in the future. swap and dump can be grown/shrunk
extremely easily. No need to reserve disk space etc. All I have to do
is keep an eye on disk space on 1 pool. I dont have to muck around
with /var or whatever. I can snapshot. And then the whole live
upgrade. We'll see how that goes with U7. U6 is the first release to
have zfs boot, but if it works like Solaris Express, that'll be a much
better way to use the disk space (instead of having a secondary root
partition, wasting disk space etc).

For Oracle, there are many things to tweak though with zfs. like ARC.
like failmode. Also if running the storage for oracle on a SAN,
disabling the flush cache command (or having the SAN ignore it) is a
good idea, as long as the cache is truely protected.