[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:10:41 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:
>> Yes, that's what I did. I didn't even know you could apply a patch
>> (not an upgrade) with a gui. I was talking more about the data it
>> stores in the repository. It has some host specific junk that causes
>> issues when moving stuff from one host to another.
>>
> That has been my experience, though I h ave not "done Oracle" for a year
> now: patches with opatch do not require a GUI, or even unseen access to an X
> server, but upgrades do.

My tools guy is trying to package it up so we can do a basic install
out of jumpstart.  The dba obviously did not feel confident about his
first efforts, since he is under as much time crunch as we are
(worse--there's only one of him), so he did his usual install and
skipped testing the package this time out.

> As for patching, I was testing the automatic download of patches with the
> Sol 10 GUI patch manager, and it rendered my poor old SunBlade 100
> unbootable within a month. I now download and apply the 10_Recommended
> cluster. I believe that the cluster patches have been tested as a group and
> I am much more comfortable with that.

I would like to use smpatch if I can, since that allows non-kernel
patches to be applied without a reboot, and therefore also makes
kernel patching faster, since that's all you have to do in single user
mode.

A bunch of our earlier installed Sol 10 boxes have that cctransport
crap installed on them which $prev_SA's did not disable.  I had to
manually go around and turn off that stuff since now that Sun has shut
off the site it would contact, the process would go wonky and chew up
CPU.  Very annoying.

(And thanks to Francios for the further suggestions on Sol 10
packages.  I'd like to convince them to use ZFS; we'll see how far
that flies given they just bought "new" V490's since they don't think
T5120's can "handle the database load".)

=Nadine=