[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:15:22 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2008, at 7:49 PM 12/3/08, velociraptor wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For a business server, and as far as trimming it down, is reduced
>>> network not spartan enough?
>>
>> It's a bit too spartan for things like an Oracle server (which
>> requires X to install...*boggle*).
>
> I have _never_ never never understood the whole "Needs X11 for a console
> app" thing.
>
> I'm not a programmer - I'll be first to admit that - but _why_ would you
> re-use code from a library that you _know_ (0) will require the loading of a
> complete gui when you're creating a headless application.
>
> I can't see that Oracle should _require_ a gui to configure and manage.  Am
> I wrong here?  Is Oracle so buggered that the only way to manage its
> complexity is to use "shiny clicky buttons"??

It's the universal installer that requires it. But once installed,
guess what? *whispers* You dont need it. I've been known to install on
a full install, package up the oracle install and move it again and
again on a sun box with no X.

But if you use all the newfangled 10g/11g features, you might not be
totally able to do it. Also, when it comes to applying oracle patches,
you'll face hardship. On 10gR2 though I am running with a single patch
applied.

Francois