[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Dec 3 20:00:58 CST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 7:49 PM 12/3/08, velociraptor wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Francois Dion
> <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For a business server, and as far as trimming it down, is reduced
>> network not spartan enough?
>
> It's a bit too spartan for things like an Oracle server (which
> requires X to install...*boggle*).

I have _never_ never never understood the whole "Needs X11 for a
console app" thing.

I'm not a programmer - I'll be first to admit that - but _why_ would
you re-use code from a library that you _know_ (0) will require the

I can't see that Oracle should _require_ a gui to configure and
manage.  Am I wrong here?  Is Oracle so buggered that the only way to
manage its complexity is to use "shiny clicky buttons"??
--
Mike Hebel

(0) If you don't know that X11 is a gui you probably shouldn't be
programming without learning a bit about your environment.  And once
you _know_ (which should be the first time you test loading it
headless) then fix it so it's not required unless you're using it for
display.

In the end the journey only matters if you've helped someone along
the way.