[rescue] Repair of mylar ribbon cables

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:27:27 CDT 2008

I understand this problem all too well.  This happened to my iPod (old
30GB model).  I solder almost every day, mostly surface mount (0402
sized parts usually).  I've done this for terrestrial systems and
space systems, I have favorite solder alloys for different types of
soldering.   I threw out my iPod when this happened to me.

I didn't toss it because the connector came off the solder pad on the
cable, I tossed it because it ripped the pad off the cable.  This was
just too much work to rework the cable with tiny gage wires when faced
with buying a brand new 80GB Xune for $200 (which I did).

If your solder pads are still on the ribbon cable (probably not), it
should be no problem to solder them back down.  Use a good quality
iron with a small tip (hint, don't even think about using anything
from RadioShack or anything like them).   I use a Metcal MX-500 sysetm
-you can pick em up cheap on eBay, $300 or so.    I recommend using a
63/37 eutectic alloy solder, hair thin, no rosin core with pretty much
any standard Kester flux (even the liquid stuff).  I can send you a
bunch if you need it.  Never use 60/40 (RadioShack) alloy for this
type of thing.

If you like, I'm very happy to do the soldering for you if you want to
send the part out to me.  Mail me off list and we'll exchange contact
info.