[rescue] Repair of mylar ribbon cables

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:55:52 CDT 2008

Nadine Miller wrote:
> Any of the soldering geeks out there have any suggestions for
> re-attaching a male molex-type connector to a mylar ribbon cable?
>
> I have 2 cables from iPod click wheels where one of the pins has been
> pulled loose from the logic board connector.  I'd like to try to repair
> them before plunking down the cash to get replacements.  The connector
> has legs on it similar to an IC.
>
> It looks like it might re-flow if it was pressed together and re-heated,
> but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions.  I have basic
> soldering equipment here, but no access to a temperature controlled iron
> at the moment.

Since someone asked off-list, it's from an iPod Mini.  I'm trying to get
a couple of broken ones working for my brothers.  I also have a Photo
(4G color) and a 5G video that are dead, so if you have any parts or
dead units of these types, I'd be interested as well.  One of my
brothers works for the RR, and he snagged these two from guys who were
just going to chuck them in the trash since they were broken.

Shoot me an email off-list if you have anything.

Thanks--
=Nadine=