[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 6 09:10:42 CDT 2008

>From: "Earl D. Baugh Jr." <earl at baugh.org>
>Date: 2008/04/05 Sat PM 10:03:55 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

>Two Gigabit ethernet questions....

<snip>

>Second, if I were looking for some relatively inexpensive Gigabit
>cards for my Sun 420R/220R, what card should I be looking for?  I'm
>looking for the same as above, twisted pair based, and only need a
>single interface for each machine.  It looks like the Sun GigaSwith
>cards might be the right ones... I see some on EPay that look pretty
>inexpensive (pulls from Ultra 10 boxes).  If anybody on the list has
>any they're willing to part with, let me know...
>Otherwise I'll probably go the EPay route.

Sun Gigaswifts look to be about $25 shipped on eBay, but if you don't need to boot over the Gigabit interface, the cards I mentioned a few days ago *should* work, though I've not tried one yet (haven't set up gigabit at home):

<quote>
Hello all,

Looking for a confirmation before I pull the trigger - my research has turned
up that the RealTek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet cards work with Solaris 10 (but
NOT OpenBoot PROM, so no boot on net)[0], and there is a retailer selling
refurbs for $11.95 (with $1.95 S/H per networking order)[1] - anyone used
these cards in their PCI UltraSPARC boxes (U5/10 and 30/60)?

Lionel

[0] http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.sys.sun.hardware/2006-
08/msg00330.html

[1] http://justdeals.stores.yahoo.net/ga311nar.html (I've bought from them
before, never a problem, so a trusted vendor)
</quote>

The Gigaswift looks good, but it wants/needs a 64 bit PCI slot (not a problem, just an observation) but it should be net bootable...

Lionel