[rescue] WTF? Ultra 10/Solaris 10 Update 4 install problems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 30 17:17:56 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I was going through my Ultra 5/Ultra 10 collection earlier today, and I decided to try and install Solaris 10, Update 4 (8/07) on an Ultra 10 with Series 3 on-board graphics, 440 MHz CPU, 1024 Meg RAM, and a 120 Gig IDE HD.

Install went fine, but once installed, the "Java Desktop" came up *really* grainy, and when I opened up a Firefox window, I got the famous color map effect, where everything outside the active window had odd colors assigned... It appears that Solaris 10, Update 4 either didn't load or didn't include an appropriate driver for the on-board graphics... Is that even possible?

On a related note, the system has a QFE installed, but Solaris only tried to poll qfe2, qfe1, qfe0, and hme0 when it was looking for a network connection - is there a reason (aside from the obvious - faulty ethernet port on the card) why qfe3 wouldn't be polled?

Thanks in advance,

Lionel