[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Sep 30 14:39:31 CDT 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> Me too.  It's one of the best things about Sun hardware.  I've never
> seen one of the x86-based Suns; can anyone tell me if they have
> OpenBoot firmware, or the standard PC rubbish?

They've standardizes on PC BIOS crap.

> While on the topic, am I the only one who wishes that OpenBoot had a
> TCP implementation?  I'd love to be able to boot boxes by simply
> doing:
>
> setenv ip-address 1.2.3.4/24
> setenv dns-address 1.2.3.2
> setenv router-address 1.2.3.1
> boot http://some.server.out.there.com/path/to/kernel

Err, outside of the http part, you can.  You can specify specific local
and remote IP addresses as arguments to 'boot net'.  The syntax differs
between OBP v3 and OBP v4, and it's only available in the late releases
of v3, -and- the syntax isn't widely documented, but, given an hour or
so and a search engine, you can dig it up.

--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."